|Synonyms||Cancer virus, oncogenic virus, tumo(u)r virus|
|Forms||Plural: oncoviruses; Adj.: oncoviral|
Onco- (ὄγκος: "onkos" meaning mass or lump) + -virus (Latin for poison)
Herpesviruses such as:
- Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) which is associated with Burkitt lymphoma, Hodgkin lymphoma, nasopharyngeal carcinoma, amongst other cancers.
- Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) which is associated with Kaposi sarcoma, primary effusion lymphoma and multicentric Castleman disease
Other DNA viruses such as:
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) which causes a variety of malignancies including: anal cancer, cervical cancer, some types of lung cancer and squamous cell carcinoma of the penis.
- Merkel cell polyomavirus (MCP), which can cause merkel cell carcinoma
Hepatitis viruses such as:
- Hepatitis B virus, which is associated with chronic hepatitis B which can lead to hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Hepatitis C virus, which is associated with chronic hepatitis C which can lead to hepatocellular carcinoma.
- NCBI Bookshelf provides free book resources on this topic.
- PubMed provides review articles from the past five years (limit to free review articles or to systematic reviews)
- The TRIP database provides clinical publications about evidence-based medicine.