FANDOM


Churg-Strauss syndrome
Synonyms
Synonyms
Allergic granulomatous angiitis, eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (EGPA)
MeSH D015267
ICD-9

446.4

ICD-10

M30.1

eMedicine

Overview
Presentation
DDx
Workup
Treatment
Medication}

Patient.co.uk

Professional Reference

Wikipedia

Churg-Strauss syndrome

Churg-Strauss syndrome (CSS) is a condition characterized by inflammation of the small/medium-sized blood vessel(s) (which in formal contexts is referred to as small/medium-vessel vasculitis) that along with Wegener granulomatosis and microscopic polyangiitis is associated with anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antigens (ANCA) antibodies and the formation of granulomas.[1] The following symptoms are known to be caused by it:

  • Asthma
  • Eosinophilia (a high eosinophil count)
  • Sinusitis
  • Pulmonary infiltrates (pus, blood or proteins accumulating in the connective tissue of the lungs)
  • Signs of vasculitis
  • Nerve disorders that can be painful or cause muscle weakness

80% of cases can be treated with glucocorticoids (like prednisone) alone or may not require treatment, but the remaining 20% may require immunosuppressive therapy with cyclophosphamide.[1]

External linksEdit

Reference listEdit

  1. 1.0 1.1 Farid-Moayer, M (7 March 2013). Diamond, HS; Talavera, F; Brent, LH; Mechaber, AJ, ed. "Churg-Strauss Syndrome". Medscape Reference. WebMD. Retrieved 12 November 2014. 

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.