The first cannabinoid receptor is a cannabinoid receptor that is found primarily in the central nervous system, where it mediates retrograde neurotransmission. It is believed to be the single most abundant receptor in the human brain. It also exerts effects on reproduction, in both sexes. It inhibits sperm motility. Its mediates the psychoactive effects of cannabinoids, along with their effects on fertility. It is a metabotropic receptor, that has an inhibitory effect on neuronal activity. It inhibits the release of neurotransmitters (including glutamate, dopamine, acetylcholine, noradrenaline, histamine, etc.), while also, indirectly, inducing the release of others like noradrenaline, dopamine in certain brain regions via its inhibitory influence on GABAergic interneurons. Its endogenous ligands are endocannabinoids anandamide and 2-arachidonoylglycerol.
- NCBI Bookshelf provides free book resources on this topic.
- PubMed provides review articles from the past five years (limit to free review articles or to systematic reviews)
- The TRIP database provides clinical publications about evidence-based medicine.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Castillo, PE; Younts, TJ; Chávez, AE; Hashimotodani, Y (October 2012). "Endocannabinoid signaling and synaptic function.". Neuron 76 (1): 70–81. doi:10.1016/j.neuron.2012.09.020. PMC 3517813. PMID 23040807.
- ↑ Battista, N; Meccariello, R; Cobellis, G; Fasano, S; Di Tommaso, M; Pirazzi, V; Konje, JC; Pierantoni, R; et al. (May 2012). "The role of endocannabinoids in gonadal function and fertility along the evolutionary axis.". Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology 355 (1): 1–14. doi:10.1016/j.mce.2012.01.014. PMID 22305972.
- ↑ Fitzgerald, ML; Shobin, E; Pickel, VM (July 2012). "Cannabinoid modulation of the dopaminergic circuitry: implications for limbic and striatal output.". Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry 38 (1): 21–9. doi:10.1016/j.pnpbp.2011.12.004. PMC 3389172. PMID 22265889.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Ohno-Shosaku, T; Kano, M (April 2014). "Endocannabinoid-mediated retrograde modulation of synaptic transmission.". Current Opinion in Neurobiology 29C: 1–8. doi:10.1016/j.conb.2014.03.017. PMID 24747340.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Grotenhermen, F; Müller-Vahl, K (July 2012). "The therapeutic potential of cannabis and cannabinoids.". Deutsches Arzteblatt International 109 (29-30): 495–501. doi:10.3238/arztebl.2012.0495. PMC 3442177. PMID 23008748.