The benzodiazepines work by positively allosterically modulating the GABAA receptors, medically they are primarily used as sedatives, anxiolytics and anticonvulsants. They are popular drugs of abuse, due to the euphoria they can generate.
They all produce many of the same effects, including:
- NCBI Bookshelf provides free book resources on this topic.
- PubMed provides review articles from the past five years (limit to free review articles or to systematic reviews)
- The TRIP database provides clinical publications about evidence-based medicine.
- ↑ Including, difficulty recalling words, anterograde amnesia
- ↑ Sort of like being drunk, leading to increased sociability, increased impulsiveness, etc.
- ↑ Brunton, LL; Chabner, BA; Knollmann, BC, ed. (2010). "17: Hypnotics and Sedatives". Goodman & Gilman's Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. (12th ed.). New York, USA: McGraw-Hill Professional. ISBN 9780071624428.